Fitness Training: Tips and Tricks From The Experts
Summer may be winding down, but that shouldn’t mean that your fitness routine also takes a nose dive. Sure, many of us ramp things up at the beginning of the summer in order to take bikini season by storm – but stopping after you’ve hit the beach can mean your body also takes a hit! Here are some fitness training tips from the experts to help you stay fit even after that initial seasonal motivation has lost its power.
Fitness Training Tips and Tricks:
- Be Consistent. Regular workouts and consistent training is crucial in order to achieve results. The odd walk or gym workout will not get you anywhere. Make a schedule and stick to it. Try to allot a specific time each day, or every other day, for a regular workout. This doesn’t have to be 3 hours at the gym – but it should at least get your body moving at a steady pace and get that heart rate up.
- Set realistic goals. Be honest with yourself. If your schedule is tight, chances are probably pretty high that a 2 hour workout at the gym every day won’t be doable. Also, if you know that you want to lose a certain amount of weight, make sure that this is a healthy goal – and one that your body can sustain in a healthy way. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself or any failures will kill motivation. At the same time, set goals that are fair but challenging, and reward yourself when you meet them.
- Don’t Go Big or Go Home. Going from the couch to a 50km marathon in a matter of days is never a great idea. The most effective fitness training regimen is one that gradually builds upon itself. Your body will learn to adapt to the changing expectations placed upon it, but you need to give it time to do so.
- Eat! Starving yourself will have the double benefits of killing of the energy needed to work-out as well as leading to binge eating which just throws everything out of whack! Try to avoid skipping meals as best you can. Instead, just make smarter food choices. Ramp up your protein intake to keep you feeling fuller for longer, don’t forget those fruits and veggies for their H2O value, and of course keep the sugary/salty snacks to a minimum.
- Don’t Do it Alone. Use the buddy system – this is a great way to stay motivated. Or, a trained, experienced fitness trainer can make all the difference if you find yourself continually struggling to maintain your weight or your fitness schedule. They can also be a great resource when you are unsure what workout will work best for you and your unique goals. Find someone who will cater your personal workout to you – after all, one size does not fit all!
For more about fitness training tips or to get in touch with a fitness trainer please contact Athletic Edge Sports Medicine today by calling 416-800-0800.