Aches and Pains From a Sports Injury? Try Physiotherapy
No matter the sport or your level of play, every time you head out on the track, field, or court, you run the risk of sustaining a sports injury. These injuries can range from minor to severe, but no matter the severity, ignoring an injury can be the worst thing you can do. Assuming those aches and pains will just go away with time and some ice can often lead to even bigger issues.
One of the best ways to get relief from a sports injury is through physiotherapy. How can physiotherapy help? There are a number of different benefits to seeking physiotherapy for sports-related aches and pains:
- Restore function
- Improve movement
- Increase strength and flexibility
- Prevent future injury
- Heal a current injury
What might physiotherapy encompass? No cookie-cutter approaches here. Something that works for one person may not be the best course for everyone, so an experienced team will first assess your injury and determine how physiotherapy, either alone or in combination with other treatments, will best alleviate pain and stiffness.
Treatments may include:
- Acupuncture – Using traditional techniques, a specialist trained in acupuncture can help clear blockages in the body that restrict energy flow, thereby limiting their ability to lead to pain or the breakdown of tissues within the body. The painless insertion of tiny needles at certain points can do wonders as far as targeting specific areas and releasing that blocked energy.
- Massage Therapy – A proven-effective treatment to reduce swelling, pain, and inflammation in your muscles, as well as improve blood circulation, massage therapy works by applying pressure to targeted areas after thoroughly assessing tissue damage.
- Strength and Conditioning – Where weaknesses exist, your body often overcompensates, thus putting added strain or stress on muscles. By strengthening and conditioning the body, you can balance out those muscles, giving some much needed relief and often eliminating pain.
- Orthopaedic Assessments – Sometimes surgery is inevitable, so trust that surgery to someone experienced in treating injuries in athletes specifically to ensure optimal recovery time and effective treatment based on an assessment that deals with your specific concerns and goals for the future.
Get a personal approach to your unique injury. Physiotherapy can help you achieve the pain relief you need to get back to the activity that you love. Don’t settle for anything less than the best.
For more about how physiotherapy can help you recover from your sports injury please contact Athletic Edge Sports Medicine today by calling 416-800-0800.